Updating RFC 5890-5893 (IDNA 2008) to Full Standard

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Fri Nov 16 14:42:16 CET 2012

On 15 nov 2012, at 15:56, Mark Davis ☕ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> people who were concerned with backwards compatibility

As I am named, although not by name, by Mark, I feel I must explain my view -- again -- as I do not think Mark explains it correctly:

The choice was between:

- Backward compatibility with IDNA2003, extend the number of exceptions to the algorithm to use, and never ever be able to use ß as a character in A- or U-labels.

- Using an algorithm based on Unicode Codepoint meta data (from Unicode Consortium) to calculate whether codepoints where to be allowed or not, take the pain of incompatibility via sunrise for very few code points (like ß), but finally acknowledge ß as a character on its own (as Unicode has defined it), separate from "ss".

For me, the second of these did win. Without any doubt. Short term pain with long term benefits.

   Patrik