Updating RFC 5890-5893 (IDNA 2008) to Full Standard

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Nov 16 12:31:49 CET 2012

Hello Mark,

On 2012/11/16 8:56, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:

> Yet for companies like mine, compatibility is rather important; we need to
> ensure that URLs like http://ÖBB.at<http://xn--bb-eka.at>  continue to work
> as people expect, and URLs like
> http://www.amt-golßener-land.de/<http://www.amt-golssener-land.de/>go
> to a single location, rather than (depending on the browsers),
> sometimes:
>
>     - sometimes their original pages (http://www.amt-golssener-land.de)
>     - sometimes new pages (http://www.xn--amt-golener-land-mlb.de)

For Opera, http://www.amt-golßener-land.de/ goes to a Wordpress blog
page about "IDNA2008 & ß". This means that with respect to ß, Opera
implements IDNA2008. For other browsers (I tested IE9, Safari, Firefox
and Chrome on Windows 7), this page can be reached at
http://www.xn--amt-golener-land-mlb.de (as indicated above).

As far as I understand the plan behind IDNA2008, the idea was that
first, the affected registries (and DENIC is the most affected here of
course) will make sure that their registrees have a chance to catch up
(with bundling, sunrise, or whatever). In a next step, the browsers
would adopt.

DENIC did this with sunrise
(http://www.denic.de/domains/internationalized-domain-names/einfuehrung-eszett.html
mentions "Vorzugsregistrierung für die Inhaber bestehender Domains mit
dem Namensbestandteil „ss“").

It looks like the owners of http://www.amt-golssener-land.de didn't use
the sunrise opportunity. We don't know whether that's because they just
missed it, because they had not enough money, because they didn't
understand what was happening, because they thought nobody would use
http://www.amt-golßener-land.de/ anyway, or because they wanted to
protest IDNA 2008, or whatever other reason.

The domain business is (unfortunately I'd say, but that's difficult to
change) not extremely customer-friendly, so we have to say "they had
their chance". And my guess is that in this specific case, the owner of
http://www.xn--amt-golener-land-mlb.de would probably give back that
domain to the owner of http://www.amt-golssener-land.de if asked nicely.
S/he also made it very clear that this is not the page of "Golßener
Country County" at the top of the page ("Dies ist keine Seite des “Amt
Golßener Land”. Dafür gehen Sie zu http://amt-golssener-land.de/").

So as far as DENIC is concerned, they have proceeded according to the
overall plan. The domain owners also have had their say. So now the next
step is that the browsers move. As far as I understand, this is the
transition called out in TR46, and Opera just is a bit ahead on this
transition curve compared to the other browsers.

As for "companies like yours", I understand that may mean the search
business or the browser business, at the minimum. For the search
business, it's not a single choice, so you can easily show both
alternatives if there are alternatives, and can of course weight them as
you see fit (that's where the best search engine wins). As for browsers,
this was all part of the transition plan, so I think you should move
ahead sooner rather than later.

As for http://ÖBB.at, that redirects to http://www.oebb.at/, so that's
also not such a good example. Or are there still that many IE6 users in
Austria :-?.

Regards,    Martin.