Updating RFC 5890-5893 (IDNA 2008) to Full Standard

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Nov 9 12:27:03 CET 2012

(top post and personal opinion only)

Simon,

Many thanks to you and Kajtan.

FWIW, while not precisely conforming to IDNA2008 (whether it
would meet IETF's requirements for interoperable implementations
is an interesting question), my personal view is that, at least
as part of a transition strategy, what you/ Opera has done is a
perfectly rational implementation.  For the long term, I do
worry a bit about "never prevent DNS lookups" (I've referred to
that elsewhere as "lookup everything"), particularly because
newly-assigned code points in further versions of Unicode may
have properties requiring special treatment.  But your decision
to display those as A-labels ("Punycode") would mitigate almost
all of the possible ill-effects of such a change for an alert
user.

That might sort of generalize: a reasonable API interface might
accept a native character string and return the relevant DNS
records, if any, and a status indication of "conforming but
mapped", "conforming unmapped", "conforming but dubious (e.g.,
mixed script label)", or "non-conforming".  Again, just IMO.

thanks,
    john

p.s. I'm tied up with IETF and other work and on travel and
won't be able to respond further to the other thread until
probably sometime late next week.

--On Friday, 09 November, 2012 10:19 +0100 Simon Pieters