I-D Action:draft-josefsson-getaddrinfo-idn-00.txt

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com
Tue Jun 15 20:25:00 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:40:38AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I've published my getaddrinfo extension writeup as an IETF document, to
> facilitate discussions.  See announcement below.

Thank you Simon.  This is very useful.

> It isn't clear from the writeup, but this code has been shipping in GNU
> Libc for many years, so if you are running GNU/Linux chances are you
> have had this functionality for quite some time.  You can test it
> through a code snippet like this:

Ah, it's good to know that this is shipping.

I think it might be a good idea to add AI_NO_IDN and AI_CANON_NO_IDN
flags.  That way in the future we could change these functions to behave
by default as if the application had used AI_IDN/AI_CANONIDN.

I can see the default behavior of getaddrinfo()/getnameinfo() being
configurable system-wide, at least initially until we obtain enough
deployment experience.  Specifically, I'd like to see what, if anything,
breaks if getaddrinfo()/getnameinfo() act as if the application had used
AI_IDN/AI_CANONIDN; I suspect there will be very little breakage, and if
that's so then I think we can stand to get much more benefit from having
that be the default behavior than from it being optional.

Comments?

Nico