I-D Action:draft-josefsson-getaddrinfo-idn-00.txt

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Jun 15 23:45:38 CEST 2010

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com> writes:

>> It isn't clear from the writeup, but this code has been shipping in GNU
>> Libc for many years, so if you are running GNU/Linux chances are you
>> have had this functionality for quite some time.  You can test it
>> through a code snippet like this:
>
> Ah, it's good to know that this is shipping.
>
> I think it might be a good idea to add AI_NO_IDN and AI_CANON_NO_IDN
> flags.  That way in the future we could change these functions to behave
> by default as if the application had used AI_IDN/AI_CANONIDN.
>
> I can see the default behavior of getaddrinfo()/getnameinfo() being
> configurable system-wide, at least initially until we obtain enough
> deployment experience.  Specifically, I'd like to see what, if anything,
> breaks if getaddrinfo()/getnameinfo() act as if the application had used
> AI_IDN/AI_CANONIDN; I suspect there will be very little breakage, and if
> that's so then I think we can stand to get much more benefit from having
> that be the default behavior than from it being optional.

That could be tried in an experiment, but I believe any effort to make
that the default, or even any effort to standardize anything here,
should be co-ordinated with the Austin group.  That is also really the
place where the POSIX experts hang out and can tell whether this is a
good idea or not, from a POSIX standardization point of view.

I recall raising this with them in the past, but it was premature at
that point.  Perhaps now is a better time.

/Simon