What registries might do (was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue Dec 1 16:17:19 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 03:03:58AM +0000, Shawn Steele wrote:

> permanently.  And if the registrars in the 2 countries where this is
> interesting effectively make them the same, then what's the purpose
> in trying to make them different?

Uh, the DNS is not broken up into countries, and it also doesn't end
at the TLD.

> But would that person be happy with display?  It's reasonable for
> someone to want ß to be displayed as they'd registered it, but it's
> unrealistic to expect two different web sites fußball.de and
> fussball.de to coexist.

You keep saying this, but you have provided no argument at all to show
it.  We have different spellings of "English words" in the DNS today
that have different registrants and resolve to different targets.  Why
not in this case too?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.