What registries might do (was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 18:43:41 CET 2009

> Uh, the DNS is not broken up into countries, and it also doesn't end
> at the TLD.

Which is why I continued the example by saying that domain owners would pick them up.

>> But would that person be happy with display?  It's reasonable for
>> someone to want ß to be displayed as they'd registered it, but it's
>> unrealistic to expect two different web sites fußball.de and
>> fussball.de to coexist.

> You keep saying this, but you have provided no argument at all to show
> it.  We have different spellings of "English words" in the DNS today
> that have different registrants and resolve to different targets.  Why
> not in this case too?

A) If nothing else the English words at least have consistent mapping rules for casing to apply, how does mapping lowercase SS to the "correct" word?
B) The casing alone of eszett would seem to indicate some linguistic equivilance of eszett ~ SS that doesn't exist for o ~ OU.
C) In addition it's the existing practice of IDNA2003, and there's not really good rules.
D) and lastly I really doubt you will find a German speaker that wanted to protect their trademark that would think it was "safe" to let a potential competitor use the other form of their legally protected name.  If you can get someone from the legal dept of fussball.de to say that the won't sue if some one else takes fußball.de then I'll throw in my virtual towel.

- Shawn