What registries might do (was: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 04:03:58 CET 2009

> > Instead of restriction, what if registries could be relied upon to
> > bundle a PVALID ß with 'ss' for a period?

My understanding is that's what .de and .at intend to do, although permanently.  And if the registrars in the 2 countries where this is interesting effectively make them the same, then what's the purpose in trying to make them different?  The only interesting case at that point is lookup/display, the "preferred" form.  It'd be better to handle preferred forms in a more flexible form so that AAA.com didn't keep getting displayed as aaa.com.

> So I can report that there are some -- "at least one" -- people who want ß to be
> available.)

But would that person be happy with display?  It's reasonable for someone to want ß to be displayed as they'd registered it, but it's unrealistic to expect two different web sites fußball.de and fussball.de to coexist.

-Shawn