[RTW] Relationship of the proposed W3C RTC group with WHATWG

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 23 10:02:38 CET 2011

On 03/16/11 12:46, Rich Tibbett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is currently a whole lot of ongoing work in the WHATWG around
> real-time web communications [whatwg-spec#rtc] [html-tracker].
>
> What is the relationship between the proposed W3C activity
> [w3c-rtc-charter] and the work currently being done in the WHATWG?
The proposed W3C WG is intended to be the W3C mirror of the IETF
activity in RTCWEB. I believe the PeerConnection API currently proposed
for inclusion in the HTML5 spec would be better processed as a work item
of that WG. Obviously, the editor of the WHATWG HTML spec doesn't feel
like waiting for that activity before proposing something as part of HTML5.

The current proposal is a lot better than the previous ConnectionPeer
spec, so I can't blame him much, but I still have technical issues with it.

> While there is an obvious need for IETF activity on underlying
> protocols, codecs and formats I'm unsure as to how a W3C RTC group is
> going to effectively manage any overlaps here.
So am I. Input here and to the WHATWG and W3C on what people think would
be appropriate methods to manage the division of labour would be
helpful. I have my opinions, but I'm not the only one whose opinion matters.