[RTW] [dispatch] Does RTC-WEB need to pick a signaling protocol?

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Jan 31 15:28:13 CET 2011

On 01/30/11 22:50, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> One approach is to tunnel the signaling protocol over HTTP.   This
> requires support for bi-directional communications, such as can be
> provided by BOSH, or Websockets.   In these architectures the web
> client communicates via HTTP with a "Connection Manager"  which
>  encapsulates/decapsulates the signaling messages and routes them
> appropriately on the backend.

I think that no matter what we define (or not) as the signalling
protocol, it will be carried in a fashion that looks like HTTP or HTTPS
(most probably HTTPS) to intermediaries and firewalls.
Not using WebSockets (if it's done yet) seems like a strange choice; if
WebSockets are usable for anything, they should be usable for this
application.