[RTW] TFWC control protocol (Re: Rate control and codec adaption (Re: [dispatch] The charter formerly know as RTC-WEB take 3))

Soo-Hyun Choi soohyun.choi at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 18:20:30 CET 2011

> I think this is off topic for this group - it probably needs to be taken
> to DISPATCH or wherever rate-control algorithms go.

Thanks for your information. I will consider bring TFWC to DISPATCH.

> We won't be chartered to work on this kind of problem; if the solution
> was available to be referenced, it's possible that we could adopt it.

I didn't intend it to be charted in this group, but tried to introduce a
better mechanism than TFRC in some cases, which described in my thesis
file - you guys have said that GTalk implements TFRC in video chatting,
so I thought it might be beneficial to you in that context. By the way,
the solutions and some results are documented in my thesis PDF file.

If you guys still think it's clearly off the group's interest, neglect
my message(s) about TFWC protocol.

> My standard questions include:
>
> - Is there a draft?

No, not yet - we are currently preparing for it.

> - Is there code?

Yes - http://tfwc.hackerslab.eu/download
(NB: it is not a production-level code.)

> From your page, it is clear that this is for unicast streams only; I
> approve of making that statement up front.

I guess it is not trivial to support multicast streams with a
window-based CC mechanism, so it (TFWC is a window-based CC) currently
supports unicast only.

Cheers,
Soo-Hyun