[RTW] Rate control and codec adaption (Re: [dispatch] The charter formerly know as RTC-WEB take 3)

Matthew Kaufman matthew.kaufman at skype.net
Tue Jan 25 16:46:42 CET 2011

Agreed, but for the purpose of this discussion I believe that rate
control of some sort should also be a MUST.

Web browsers are extremely prevalent, and we hope that RTC use in
browsers will be high, and so it would be good for the Internet for
browsers to have sending rate control. Note that this is at the protocol
level... so send rate must be controlled whether the codec can have its
rate adjusted downward so as to not require the protocol level to
enforce or not.

For interoperability, it is also required that the feedback mechanism
from one end to the other be standardized, even if the way that feedback
is used to control send rate and/or codec selection or codec rate
selection is proprietary and/or extensions to the feedback are also sent
for endpoints that understand the (possibly proprietary) extension(s).

Matthew Kaufman