[RTW] [dispatch] The charter formerly know as RTC-WEB take 3

Adam Roach adam at nostrum.com
Tue Jan 18 15:27:21 CET 2011

On 1/18/11 07:43, Jan 18, Peter Musgrave wrote:
> I share the concern expressed by many on the list that including selection of baseline CODECs (audio and video) is something which will consume enormous energy and FWIW I don't see it as necessary for the "plumbing" part of the problem to which the IETF is best suited to provide solutions.

As I mentioned earlier, baseline codecs are far more critical for this
effort than for non-real-time web browsing. So someone needs to choose one.

It is my understanding that the overall work in this area will be split
between the IETF and the W3C, so the decision must be made by one of
those two organizations.

The W3C could not come to a decision for video codecs when deliberating
HTML5, and there is no reason to believe that running the same exercise
in that forum with substantially the same participants will yield a
different result.

What makes a substantive between the W3C and the IETF in this particular
regard is the procedure documented in RFC3929, which  _guarantees_ that
a decision can be made (as long as the working group agrees that the
decision must be made). I hope it doesn't come to that, but IETF
procedures virtually ensure that we can't deadlock on a decision like
the W3C can.

/a