[RTW] Charter proposal: The activity hitherto known as "RTC-WEB at IETF"

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Sat Jan 8 15:02:43 CET 2011

On 01/07/11 10:38, Elwell, John wrote:
> Harald,
>
> With one exception, this draft charter does not mention signalling (SIP/SDP), and I assume it is intended to be out of scope, although that is not explicitly stated.
>
> The one exception is "8) RFC 4574 based Label support for identifying streams purpose".
> This is an SDP attribute. How would this be used if SDP is indeed out of scope? If SDP is in scope, we certainly need more text describing its relevance.
There isn't much text in 4574 - the main point of the RFC seems to be
that it's possible to create labels for streams before creating the
stream. Those labels could be independent of the signalling mechanism.

The trend I see now is that most APIs and protocols people define (for
instance Jabber/XMPP, JSON-based descriptions) have some kind of mapping
to SDP, so SDP-as-a-format may not be so important (I heartily dislike
multiple things about the specific format), but SDP-as-a-semantic
becomes more important over time, and can't be ignored.

                       Harald