IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission

Brian E Carpenter brc at zurich.ibm.com
Wed Oct 29 16:13:20 CET 2003

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> --On 16. oktober 2003 14:25 +0200 Brian E Carpenter <brc at zurich.ibm.com>
> wrote:
> > What we also need in the mission statement is enough boundary-setting that
> > we can relatively easily decide what fits into the "Applications" Area
> > and whether the Sub-IP Area belonged here in the first place. (I put
> > "Applications" in quotes because there isn't much in the Apps area that
> > outsiders think of as applications.)
>
> Yes. Suggested text?

(long pause due to day job)

The IETF covers a wide range of technical areas and it is impossible to set fully
objective boundaries that allow an algorithmic answer to the question whether a
particular item is within the IETF's technical scope. However, it can be stated
that IETF work items are always concerned with either the Internet Protocol layer
itself (Layer 3 in the ISO/OSI Reference Model), with its management and routing,
with transport protocols (Layer 4) that may seriously impact the correct functioning
of the IP layer, or with direct uses of the transport layer that provide generic
services. Security mechanisms for all of the above are also in scope.

Transmission technologies below Layer 3, and upper layer protocols that are not
generic in nature, are generally out of scope. Also, tightly integrated suites of
generic upper layer protocols (for example, the Web Services protocols) may be more
appropriately specified by a dedicated standards body.

Hmm. Not perfect, but it's a start. Which list should we discuss this on?

    Brian