Comments on the Problem Statement draft: Document structure

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Oct 7 10:48:11 CEST 2003

--On 6. oktober 2003 16:44 -0700 Charlie Perkins <charliep at iprg.nokia.com>
wrote:

> A statement is made that the "Unclear Mission" root
> cause is the "fundamental" cause.  I don't believe it.
> I think it's much more a case of arbitrary procedures
> applied selectively according to circumstance and
> personal preference.

Charlie,

I don't believe that the document as currently written raises the "unclear
mission" point above the other points, one of which is the "management"
issue. It just happens to come first in the list.

I think there are two issues with percieved arbitrariness:

- If we allow ourselves to assume that leaders have been genuinely acting
in bad faith, I think we will jeopardize our ability to correctly diagnose
and correct the real problems we have.
- If we do not understand the processes that led to the decisions that are
being labelled "arbitrary" being taken by competent people acting in good
faith, we are doomed to repeat them.

                        Harald