An overview of where the IETF change process is currently at

Elwyn Davies elwynd at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Oct 1 18:09:08 CEST 2003

I think the important thing is for the whole I* to feel involved in the
process without dominating it.
One would expect any I* participants to have an I* perspective on the
matters under consideration and to bring with them a feeling of the attitude
of the other members to what is going on.  Clearly mandating a particular
attitude is contrary to normal IETF practice and would probably not go down
well with the normal free thinking attitude of most IETF members. However,
the I* do endeavour to adhere to certain general principles and might expect
their representatives to uphold these views unless really good arguments
were advanced to change them (as happens in technical matters today), if
only because the IESG in particular has got to implement the results and
getting an outright rejection of a proposed solution would probably provoke
a major crisis in the IETF.

regards,
Elwyn