IESG restructuring (Re: Example of the One Liners out of context)

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Thu May 29 00:46:16 CEST 2003

On 28 May 2003 at 14:24, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> "Jeanette Hofmann" <jeanette at wz-berlin.de> writes:
> > On 28 May 2003 at 21:58, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> > The IETF could be interpreted as a polis in the modern sense. It is
> > supposed to care about the Internet as opposed to single companies or
> > applications.
>
> The problem, is that "care about the Internet" isn't really a
> well-formed concept, any more than "the public good" is.

Actually, I meant to point out the difference between care about the Internet
as a whole and more narrow minded interests. A Greek definition of politics
covers the comprehensive approach. I agree with you, concepts such as  care
for the Internet are in need of  specification. In any case, I made this whole
point in support of your remark regarding false oppositions between real work
and politics.

One can, of
> course, adopt any number of theories designed to give it concrete
> meaning, but I doubt we could get consensus on any of them.

Are you implying that the IETF could not agree on a mission? Because that is
what I think a mission should also be about.

jeanette