Can we learn something from IETF history?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon May 26 08:58:23 CEST 2003

Harald,

HTA> you were AD of Standards Management from 1990 to 1993, if I interpret the
HTA> list of past IESG members <http://www.ietf.org/iesg_mem.html> correctly
HTA> (and somewhat creatively - you are listed as "Network management" some of

I did net management for the first year of the 'modern' IETF (1989);  standards
process for the next 2 years; and "middleware" (including DNS) for the
year after that.

HTA> That would, I would think, include being responsible AD of the POISED
HTA> working group,

Nope. It did not report to me. I don't remember the reporting structure
for it. I d

HTA> But still, that's the past situation that most closely resembles the
HTA> current one..... how would you say that the AD, IESG and IAB of that time
HTA> positioned its management role in relation to the POISED WG?

The original changes to the IETF were not formulated by POISED.  Poised
was a follow-on effort.

The original work was done far less formally, with hallway conversations
as the means for floating ideas and exploring reactions, and the IETF
Plenary as the means of approving the changes.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>