Can we learn something from IETF history?

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon May 26 11:54:24 CEST 2003

Dave,

I suddenly realized.....

you were AD of Standards Management from 1990 to 1993, if I interpret the
list of past IESG members <http://www.ietf.org/iesg_mem.html> correctly
(and somewhat creatively - you are listed as "Network management" some of
the time).
That would, I would think, include being responsible AD of the POISED
working group, which had its initial hyperactive phase from August 1992 to
March 1993.

Granted, this was an extremely tense time in the IETF's history (RFC 1396
claims that the POISED list produced 20 Mbytes of mail from August to
mid-November; this list has only produced 4.3 Mbytes of mail from November
to May....), and Steve Crocker was obviously not the same kind of WG chair
as Melinda and Avri, nor was the charter even closely related to the
current charter.

But still, that's the past situation that most closely resembles the
current one..... how would you say that the AD, IESG and IAB of that time
positioned its management role in relation to the POISED WG?

                     Harald