NOT "inciting to riot" (was: Last Call: IP over MIME to Proposed Standard)

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Sun May 25 22:54:37 CEST 2003

> And the relevant point for this group is that I haven't seen anyone
> pointing to something written down as a filter for whether "IP
> over MIME" is something the IETF should standardize.

you mean besides RFC 2026?

specifically the bits about

   A Proposed Standard specification is generally stable, has resolved
   known design choices, is believed to be well-understood, has received
   significant community review, and appears to enjoy enough community
   interest to be considered valuable.

and

   A Proposed Standard should have no known technical omissions with
   respect to the requirements placed upon it.

?

but yes, I do think that the "IP over MIME" discussion is probably a good
example of why we need a better defined scope for IETF standardization
activities.

Keith