Problem: Resolution mechanisms for when working group consensus and IETF consensus or principles are not the same (was Re: what are the real problems)

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri May 23 20:48:53 CEST 2003

> But I want to give
> an extended, if made-up (or at least deliberately disguised)
> example, of that other part.  I think it represents one of our
> key problems, and one that generates many opportunities for
> heaping abuse on IESG for doing things we _want_ them to do.

yup.  seen it happen several times.  and on a significant subset of
those occasions we made the mistake of giving them a WG (in the hope
that they'd somehow get a clue along the way) and then regretting it
later.  and in at least one case such a WG has demanded a PS even though
it failed to meet technical concerns that were repeatedly raised at
multiple (as in three, IIRC) BOFs before the WG was ever formed.

it's things like this that occasionally make me wish that we had public
executions of WGs as part of the Thursday night plenary.