Problem: Resolution mechanisms for when working group consensus and IETF consensus or principles are not the same (was Re: what are the real problems)

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Fri May 23 19:30:34 CEST 2003

--On Friday, 23 May, 2003 14:33 -0700 "hardie at qualcomm.com"
<hardie at qualcomm.com> wrote:

> I think John has made a very important point here, and want to
> pull it up to the named problem level (though I'm not sure
> I've written the right name above).  Here's the critical text
> for me:
>
>> We have both seen situations in which a relatively
>> well-organized,  but very narrowly-focused, group comes to
>> the IETF wanting either  ratification, or an umbrella
>> organization for, standards it wants to  produce.  These
> Another way to put this is that what is a rational decision
> for a working group may not be the right decision for the IETF
> as a whole.  From some perspectives, it may be rational to
> resist change to deployed clients, even though they contribute
> to congestion or lack security. It may be rational to avoid

Ted,

I agree with everything you say and, if my note helped you
formulate it, I'm pleased.   But I am equally concerned about
the startup- and mid-process versions of the problem. I see that
problem as one of the community claiming the "right" to have
particular things happen if some vague, but important-sounding
condition is claimed to be met.  You may have missed that; it
may be a separate problem.   Let me take the part you have
addressed as a given (i.e., if people want to argue about it,
I'm happy to have them argue with you :-)).  But I want to give
an extended, if made-up (or at least deliberately disguised)
example, of that other part.  I think it represents one of our
key problems, and one that generates many opportunities for
heaping abuse on IESG for doing things we _want_ them to do.

--------------

Suppose that we have a large handful of people who have gotten
very interested in frobitzes.  How they got together isn't
important -- perhaps they are part of the Frobitz Consortium,
perhaps they had a discussion in a bar bof and got excited about
it.  To make the example a bit more interesting, suppose they
write, and post, draft-bozo-frobitz-requirements-00 and
draft-fudd-frobitz-implementation-scenarios-00 (we routinely
kill bad ideas that don't have supporting documents).

Now they ask for a BOF.  "Ask" may not be quite the right word:
they go to a relevant AD and _demand_ a BOF, based on their
having interest, critical mass, and documents on the table.  If
the AD says "this isn't interesting, it isn't relevant to the
IETF, and no one cares about frobitzes anyway", they say "we
care, we are part of the IETF, we think it is relevant, and we
have critical mass".  Then they start looking for over-ripe
fruit with which to decorate the AD.  At this point, all but the
most hard-nosed of ADs gets tired of the abuse and need to wear
a raincoat around the IETF, and gives them the BOF on the theory
that it is worth finding out what they have to say (and,
sometimes, in the hope that they will self-destruct).

At the BOF, the AD and a handful of others question whether
anyone really cares about frobitzes.  A few members of the
community, possibly including the overworked AD, have read the
documents and point out that, even if people cared about
frobitzes, the proposed solution scenarios --and every other
solution scenario that they can imagine-- will work only on LANs
containing fewer than 30 hosts and will pose grave security
risks if that LAN has any connection at all to the public
network.  The discussion rapidly deteriorates into "you are
wrong" / "no, you are wrong" and continues until the BOF is
nearly out of time.  Then the BOF chair asks for a hum about who
wants to form a WG and the usual suspects, along with a handful
of other people (a few of them known to scare off any clues
which see them coming) all hum ...really loudly.

Now approximately the same process repeats itself.  The
advocates of a frobitz effort point out that they have critical
mass and that they held a BOF and got a really loud hum.  They
claim that the scaling and security issues are really irrelevant
to anyone who would want to use a frobitz.  They note that they
have documents on the table (maybe at version -01 or -02 by
then) and are anxious to move forward.  And they tell the AD
that they are _entitled_ to a WG and that the AD is being
unresponsive and arrogant by not having set up the WG already.

I suggest that almost everyone who has served as an AD for more
than a few months has encountered some more or less clear
version of this story, at least up to that point.

As you nicely put it, we have poor mechanisms to deal with these
tensions.  Most IETF participants would agree that the frobitz
crew should be encouraged to go away and stop wasting AD and
IESG time -- unless they are _members_ of the frobitz crew.
The pushback process works poorly: the AD often gets tired of
the noise and goes into a charter review process, hoping that
the effort will disappear --or get constrained into reality--
during that process.  Sometimes that works.  It always takes a
lot of time, with the would-be WG members claiming (often with
some justification) that the AD is foot-dragging and nit-picking
-- after all, they have critical mass, documents, and all that
other stuff.

Often the pattern continues: The noise level may reach the point
where the AD --and the IESG as a whole-- get worn down enough to
just approve the WG in the hope that it will self-destruct or
acquire wisdom...  Well, it wastes a lot more time on education,
guidance, attempts to inject clues that are not happily
accepted, etc.   That time has to come from somewhere, and
other, more relevant, WGs may suffer.  If the AD gets worn down
enough to be unwilling to close this misguided effort, and they
produce a document, it either gets Last Called or the AD, who
concludes that he or she would be too embarrassed to Last Call
the thing, sits on it (and gets more abuse).  No one responds to
the Last Call because no one reads it.  And no one reads it
because no one outside the core of the WG cares enough about
frobitzes to justify putting in the time... note that we can't,
in general, even get people to read documents that are obviously
critical to the infrastructure.

The AD, or the IESG as a whole, contemplate just saying "no",
but the frobitz team argues that their charter was approved,
they put in months (or years) of effort, the document conforms
(more or less) to the charter, they, the real frobitz experts in
the IETF, have consensus, and they are therefore entitled to
have their document adopted as a proposed standard.  The IESG
either gives in and approves it, or tries to kill it through the
death of a thousand cuts.  Either way, we all lose.

I suggest that is a problem.

     john