Problem: Multiple Incompatible Specifications

Scott Bradner sob at harvard.edu
Fri May 23 15:35:35 CEST 2003

note that in saying that there are times when more than one solution
may need to be worked on I do not mean to imply that we should
progress multiple standards track documents - in the cases I can think of
it is a better idea to publish the competing ideas as
experimental RFCs to see what the market thinks and then, if a clear
message can be seen at some later date, focus attention on one solution
which can then be brought to the standards track

there are exceptions (SNMP vs CMOT is one and OSPF & ISIS is another) but I
do not think that it is the general case that there should be multiple stds
track technologies addressing the same problem.

Scott