Useless demagoguery (Re: what are the real problems)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri May 23 11:41:13 CEST 2003

Eric,

if, somehow, we came to the point where we split the IETF between "those
who are on a mission to protect the users against exploitation by the
vendors" and "those who are on a mission to help the vendors exploit the
users", I'd reluctantly have to join the first camp.

Reluctantly, because I believe the dichtonomy to be entirely false and
unproductive.

If we're going to have an useful IETF, it has to be based on some shared
metric of what "good" is - and "exploitation by the vendors" (less
demagogically - maximizing vendors' short-term profits at the expense of
making the Internet a tool that is useful to the users) is certainly not a
goal that I think we can get wide buy-in on.

[I happen to think that maximimzing users' benefits is critical to
maintaining vendors' *long*-term profits, though - and that the marketplace
is one, but not the only, critical part of the picture]

Now, can we stop this useless sniping about secret personal agendas and get
back to talking frankly and honestly about what core values we want the
IETF to be based on?

                     Harald