what are the real problems

Edward Lewis edlewis at arin.net
Thu May 22 11:14:04 CEST 2003

At 11:08 -0700 5/21/03, Randy Bush wrote:
><personal opinion>
>    the ietf's goal is to produce high quality, relevant, and timely
>    standards for internet technology.

With limited time, I've off and on tracked this mail list.  From this
thread I can see two different states in which the IETF can wind up,
both meeting the above goal, yet the problems in achieving one state
are different from one achieving the other state.  (These two states
do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list.)

One state is being a strongly authoritative SDO, being a leader to
the vendor and operator community through quality and timely
documents describing protocols and practices.  Getting there from
here means solving the perceived-by-some latency, hidden criterion,
and opaque decision making process. (Note "perceived-by-some.")

The other state is a being an engineering collective that fosters
goodness in individual contributions via a strong mentoring program,
letting the market decide from there on.  The problem to solve before
reaching this state is the reversal of the IETF's long standing
tendency to downgrade education as part of its mission.  (This state
is much lighter weight than the first, which is why it might be a
viable alternative.)

Both states can achieve the goal as stated above, but the different
approaches to doing so require different problems to be solved.
Perhaps the state in which we wind up will depend on which problems
are easier to solve.