what are the real problems

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed May 21 22:37:42 CEST 2003

> You've been around the IETF much longer than I.  Do you sense that the
> level of conservatism in the IESG has increased over time?

it's gone both ways.  there are fans of 'let 1000 flowers bloom'
and there are 'this is now a service' folk.  and, there are folk
who are trying to find seriously innovative change.

    It's perfectly appropriate to be upset.  I thought of it in a slightly
    different way--like a space that we were exploring and, in the early
    days, we figured out this consistent path through the space: IP, TCP,
    and so on.  What's been happening over the last few years is that the
    IETF is filling the rest of the space with every alternative approach,
    not necessarily any better.  Every possible alternative is now being
    written down.  And it's not useful.  -- Jon Postel

randy