what are the real problems

Aaron Falk falk at isi.edu
Wed May 21 17:28:53 CEST 2003

Randy Bush wrote:
> > Thanks for your thoughts, Randy.  On a related note, I think the
> > perception in IETF that we (the IETF community) are stewards of
> > the Internet has weakened.  This may be the reason for the
> > somewhat conservative nature of the IESG.
>
> <personal opinion>
>
> at least among some iesg members, there is the feeling that
>
>   o while the ietf is supposed to be the steward of the (technical
>     part of the) internet
>
>   o we perceive that we get massive pushback when we act in a
>     conservative fashion, as it is perceived as inhibiting vendors,
>     who are a bit desperate these days.
>
>   o yet we think that the purpose of an sdo is to provide to the
>     *users* inter-vendor choice through compatibility.  so we
>     wonder how pandering to featuritis of the vendors is serving
>     the users
>
> no easy answers.

indeed.

Randy-

You've been around the IETF much longer than I.  Do you sense that the
level of conservatism in the IESG has increased over time?  My
perception is that, as more non-computer scientists get on the
Internet, it has been viewed as more of a utility, i.e., "it just
works."  It wouldn't surprise me if there is a reduced tolerance of
risk by the IESG to protect these users.  In other words, the
interpretation of stewardship of the Internet has changed from "let's
grow something neat" (or "let 1000 flowers bloom") to "let's keep this
cool thing from breaking" (or "let's not confuse the marketplace").

Do you concur?

--aaron

(PS. If this is too off-topic or omphaloskepsical, hit me with the
clue-stick and I'll shut up.)