OPEN ISSUE: Nomcom Process

Jonne.Soininen at nokia.com Jonne.Soininen at nokia.com
Wed May 21 15:50:35 CEST 2003

James,

I think the process is rather political already. Especially something that I am worried about is that it overly based on rumors. I have heard tons of rumors during this NomCom of who is running on which area, and what their chances are. To be honest, I think this is a bit contradictory to the openess of the IETF.

> 2) For those candidates who are not selected, there could be the
> feeling of having been "defeated". This is especially a problem for
> cultures where loss of face is a big issue, and so would serve to
> discourage their participation.

This must be a cultural issue. I do not think that people _should_ feel defeated if an obviously more competent person wins. I think we are all here for the best of the IETF and not the best of ourselves personally. Running for IESG or IAB should not be of personal prestige, but the will to make thinks work better. If someone feels defeated in the end, I guess that person was not into this for the right reasons.

> Nocomm this year was very proactive about soliciting input on
> candidates. Those solicited were asked to keep the names confidential,
> and most people agree that this request was followed this year, though
> it hasn't been as closely followed in past years. Since IAB and IESG
> members standing for re-election are already known, and their record
> should be an issue in whether or not they are re-elected, I agree that
> making public who is up for re-election would be appropriate, however,
> to avoid 1) above, it might make sense to just put out the names of
> those I* who are up for re-election, regardless of whether they are
> interested in serving again or not.

I don't think that would be very helpful. I think people are really interested on the information who is really willing to serve as it may affect their interest to give input to NomCom.

Cheers,

Jonne.