Charters, "normal process" versus ISOC, etc. (was: Re

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Wed May 21 09:55:03 CEST 2003

Margaret,

> There seems to be some assumption that, if we open a new
> Process AD position, the nomcom will pick someone who has never
> served on the IAB or IESG (and is therefore "untainted").  [Of
> course, none of us can control the criteria that the Nomcom
> uses to select a Process AD, so they could choose a current
> sitting IESG or IAB member, and back-fill.  Or, they could
> choose a recent IESG member.  But, the assumption seems to
> be that they would choose, as Keith put it, a "neophyte".]

I don't think this is a valid assumption. There are several people who
have served on IAB or IESG in the far enough distant past that they
would be credible candidates, and some who would be excellent based on
other qualities. There are additionally a couple who have served in
the recent past who I think would make excellent candidates, but who
should probably not be considered due to perceptions about their more
recent association. I feel very uncomfortable with this, because there
is an implication about the current members of the I* which I feel is
completely unfounded, but that perception does exist among some
members of the community, expressed on this list, and I believe we
must deal with it properly in order to have the process be credible.

            jak