non-problems

Mark Allman mallman at grc.nasa.gov
Tue May 20 11:22:56 CEST 2003

> I wonder whether I am really the only one who is thinking that
> this "things-about-the-IETF-that-we-don't-want-to-change" attitude
> threatens to make the whole attempt to improve futile.

A few thoughts:

  + I agree that taking certain changes we might make off the table
    without thought is a bad idea.  Everything should be fair game
    for careful consideration with regards to changing our
    processes.

  + However, that doesn't mean that everything needs changed.

  + What I was musing about was whether there are things that we can
    take out of the "change this" pile because we have consensus
    that the status quo is working well.  (That is, I don't think we
    want to change for the sake of change.)

  + The key is that we carefully consider everything and use what we
    have found to not work **and** what we have found to work well
    to make wise decisions about our future course.  Or, we should
    not only take the "what are our problems" angle or, IMO, we have
    less of a chance of succeeding.

allman

--
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/