non-problems

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Tue May 20 16:33:05 CEST 2003

"Mak, L (Leen)" wrote:

> I have been taught that the internet is based on ideas of people who
> were able to really think out of the box. Why is it than, when it comes
> to organisation and processes, that this community appears to be so
> conservative?

I think many of us are acutely aware that

a) "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" is a vital engineering principle in
complex systems.

b) any change to a social system has unintended and largely unpredictable
consequences, as well as the intended consequences.

So personally, I am indeed in conservative mode except where we have a
clearly understood problem and a proposed solution with clearly limited
consequences. But then we should go for it.

   Brian