OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Fri May 16 11:43:44 CEST 2003

Err, but you'll notice that we are discussing a "working group
draft" that was initially published as a working group draft
(not accepted as a working group draft from an existing
submission). The draft is a process draft, not a protocol draft,
but we sure do this a lot if we're doing it wrong!

Having said this - I like Brian's suggestion. I think we would
STILL have a "three-stage standards track", but it would be:

- working group draft for chartered specification,
- Proposed Standard,
- Standard

and it accomplishes what we had discussed about being able to
publish "Proposed Standard"/"first rung" specifications in a more
timely fashion without devaluing the RFC logo, and giving us
a clearer conscience when we CHANGE something because
of implementation/deployment experience.

Spencer