OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Fri May 16 08:32:10 CEST 2003

In reading over my own response I had a further thought...

At 05:26 AM 5/16/2003 -0400, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
>I think it will forever be a judgement call, just as it is in software
>and hardware development.
>
>Like all judgement calls, there is a certain amount of effort spent in
>gathering the information to make the call, and then the call is made
>based on available information.  The best way to create a tiered process
>is not to remove the judgement call...  Instead, you could move it to
>lower levels of the organization (if we had any) and/or lessen the time and
>resources spent gathering information before the judgement call is made.

When documents are reviewed, it would be useful if we could
get two types of (clearly delineated) feedback:

         (1) Blocking issues that would prevent the publication
                 of the document at PS.  In the opinion of the
                 reviewer (currently the IESG), it is worth
                 delaying publication of the document to fix
                 this problem.
         (2) Non-blocking issues that should be fixed in the
                 next revision (and certainly before the
                 document goes to the next stage).

Right now, any issue raised by the IESG (through a DISCUSS) is
treated as a blocking issue.

Margaret