Time required to write down "wisdom" (Re: "Adult supervision")

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue May 13 02:31:49 CEST 2003

> > You can't rush a document (if you want it to be good). Indeed, when I
> > write documents, I personally find that if I reread something I wrote
> > a month earlier, I often find obvious things that need fixing. I often
> > don't see these if I review the document a few days after last working
> > on it. The point here is that good documents just don't happen on the
> > first version and time is needed to properly review and iterate.
>
> Well, sometimes good may even be too much, if it results in a document
> coming out much later than the market needs.  'Good Enough' is, quite
> often, sufficient.

If the market needs something that screws the users, then it's not Good
Enough.  IETF does not exist to bless whatever the market wants,
and especially not to bless whatever marketers think the market wants.
We MUST NOT let presumptions about market criteria compel us to accept
technically shoddy work.