Time required to write down "wisdom" (Re: "Adult supervision")

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Tue May 13 07:48:36 CEST 2003

Thomas,

One follow-up:

> You can't rush a document (if you want it to be good). Indeed, when I
> write documents, I personally find that if I reread something I wrote
> a month earlier, I often find obvious things that need fixing. I often
> don't see these if I review the document a few days after last working
> on it. The point here is that good documents just don't happen on the
> first version and time is needed to properly review and iterate.

Well, sometimes good may even be too much, if it results in a document
coming out much later than the market needs.  'Good Enough' is, quite
often, sufficient.  Part of the IETF work is to make protocols that
interoperate.  If needed protocols are not done when needed, then
there is no interoperation.  Talking to some former-IETFers, one
of the main reasons for not bringing new protocol work to the IETF
is that it takes too long to get the work done.  To me, good enough
is better than none at all.  I think in most cases, this is probably
enough.

John