WG / documentation question

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Thu May 8 17:43:07 CEST 2003

Hi Avri,

> I am not sure what you mean by unbounded.  If you mean that one does not
> know the termination point before it is reached, then I don't agree with
> you.  On the other hand if you mean a looping conversation then I do.

Looping conversations are one example, or another example is a thread/topic
that just dies & there seem to be no summary or conclusion reached ...

> > I understand you want to listen, but it would be helpful to be
> > 'managing' the discussion, trying to summarize long threads, making
> > conclusions, etc.
>
> This is an interesting issue.  As has been mentioned on several
> occasions there are different styles of chairing.  I think that
> they range from micro management to exception management.  I tend away
> from micro management and do not believe in curtailing or trying to
> shape the dialogue except for when it strays to far from the charter;
> i.e. basically a form of exception management.  But I do
> admit to being very liberal in what I accept as being on topic.

I'm a big proponent of trying to reach some conclusions and those
conclusions be explicitly stated, even if it is simply repeating
that what everyone knows.  I have found that trying to repeat
/ summarize what people are saying tends to either clarify the
result or indicate that what I or others thought was a conclusion
was not the same thing that others thought.

John