My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Thu May 8 13:02:50 CEST 2003

"Bound, Jim" wrote:

> > However, I do not agree on the comparison to personel
> > practices in a company. IETF is not a company, but a
> > community. In a company, the management represents (at least
> > theoretically) the owner(s) of the company, and is not
> > responsible the workers. In a community, like the IETF, the
> > community "owns" the community. The management is responsible
> > to the community, and has to report its doings to them. I
> > think this reporting is now what is a bit missing.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jonne.
>
> Very well stated.  I agree.

But I assume that you wouldn't expect to see something like:

  Harald stated that Joe Blow is doing a really poor job running
  the slurp WG and that no progress has been made. Jane Doe would
  be a much better chair but she won't touch it unless Biff the Dog
  disappears from the WG.

(with apologies to the real Joe, Jane and Biff).

Would

  Harald reported that no progress has been made in the slurp WG.

be useful?

   Brian