My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Thu May 8 00:18:19 CEST 2003

> I don't buy it.  The community is better served if certain
> issues which sometimes need to be discussed by IESG, are not
> aired in public.  We expect the nomcom to keep its
> deliberations private for similar reasons.

Producing minutes for example why the IESG is not supporting a WGs spec
technically is prudent and not like nomcom or private IETF management or
organizational discussions which should not be public unless it involves
a financial official issue.  Even in industry they to that and don't
really have to but the IESG IMO has to and should start doing it.
It would also air their technical reasoning and that should be
consistent too. That would be good and productive and truly demonstrate
an open process.  If someone says that person is a pain in the ass and
should be fed to pigs that I agree should not be recorded. The IESG are
humans and we need to protect them from to much public abuse.  I believe
Jonne is on the right trail here to kill as much as we can of the good
ole boy network.

/jim