Time required to write down "wisdom" (Re: "Adult supervision")

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Thu May 8 07:46:50 CEST 2003

Hi Harald,

> for a worked example of something that everything we've said here says
> "should have been published sooner", consider draft-iab-sec-cons, on how to
> write security considerations.
>
> the history of that document, which started life as an emailed note in
> 1997, is probably instructive when considering the bars to timely
> publication.

This sounds strangely like the experience of getting an RFC published
by a WG.  It seems that the IAB faces many of the same troubles that
WGs face in moving a document to RFC.

It seems that the 'process' has some how gotten twisted to disable the
quick publication of important documents.  Maybe WGs have been spending
too much time trying to find creative ways to excede their charters
& destroy the Internet; and the IESG spends too much time flying
around in black helicopters.

I think that we, as an organization, do need to do better.

John