My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Tue May 6 13:29:20 CEST 2003

I took Brian's pointer on IAB minutes, and went back and looked at the first
minutes for 1992, 1998, and at the most recent minutes posted (March 2003).

I really like the IAB minutes from 1991, and I guess the point is, I learned
a lot from reading them, even twelve years later.

I would like to think that IAB is having the same quality of discussion now,
but it's not obvious from the meeting minutes. From the meeting minutes, it
looks like they've moved from discussing ideas to discussing document
status.

We're adding "don't know how to work on multi-area/complex problems" to our
list, I believe? Maybe good IAB minutes would be an investment in training
for some of the rest of us?

And Ted's point about personnel discussions being private is understood.

Back to Jonne's thread: I don't know whether IESG discussions would teach me
as much, or not, but I learn enough from ADs in one-on-one conversations to
suspect that IESG doesn't just vote on documents...

Spencer