My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Ted Hardie hardie at qualcomm.com
Tue May 6 11:04:21 CEST 2003

Hi Jonne,
	It does, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.  The only real
difficulty
I see is the practical question of who does the minutes.  At the moment,
the Secretariat does the current action-oriented minutes; that makes
sense
because they often have an action to perform based on a particular
decision (send an announcement, return an action to a later agenda,
etc.).
A transcript is a sufficiently low-filter that a clerk could do it from
a recording
(not that this a job I would wish on _anyone_, by the way).  But the
medium
filter work is actually harder--"The group discussed the merits of
Frobnitzzles vs. Whangdoodles for 15 minutes, with Randy's view
that Whangdoodles are operationally easier to deploy winning the
day over Steve's view that Frobnitzzles provide a better model for
confidentiality".  Creating that kind of summary requires both a lot
of knowledge of the background and a good ability to boil disconnected,
sometimes overlapping statements into a coherent whole.  In working
groups, a participant usual does that job exactly because they can
understand the discussion well enough to record actions and
summarize discussion.  Note that the high filter summary is actually
easier--"The group  approved Whangdoodles for Proposed Standard" being
something that the Secretariat can confirm at the end of discussion
in real time.
	We can certainly think about the question of how to improve the
minutes and get the agendas made public; I also suspect that once
they are more readily available that we will find some issues that
require
minuting at the current level of detail (any personnel issues are
private,
for example).  So we may well not have a "one size fits all"  result.
					regards,
							Ted Hardie