My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue May 6 00:37:34 CEST 2003

> Does anyone think the IESG is perfect?
> Does anyone not think that the IESG owns a share of the problems in the
> IETF?
> Does anyone think that the IESG is capable of handling all the current
> work?

Does anyone think that WGs are perfect?
Does anyone not think that the WGs own a share of the problems in the IETF?
Does anyone think that WGs are capable of doing a competent job at what
they're chartered to do ?  (there are some counterexamples...)

Note that IESG members are already carefully screened, and unlike working
groups IESG already has several constraints on its processes that are
designed to minimize IESG damage and to force timely action on documents.

I realize this is a radical suggestion, but maybe rather than imposing even
more constraints on IESG what we need is to start screening working group
participants and imposing more discipline on WGs so that they'll either
produce results in a timely fashion, and within their charter, or they'll
be shot down.