My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Jonne.Soininen at nokia.com Jonne.Soininen at nokia.com
Fri May 2 18:16:37 CEST 2003

Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brian at hursley.ibm.com] wrote:
> Jonne.Soininen at nokia.com wrote:
> > I would believe that the right way to go is to have the WG
> the right to approve proposed
> > standards, but at the same time give the needed support for
> the WGs by reviewing and
> > commenting on the documents. However, leaving the ultimate
> responsibility to see when a
> > draft is ready for PS to the WGs.
>
> This is one bridge to far for me. I think we need approval by
> a body that
> has the whole Internet under its microscope, and individual WGs don't
> satisfy that.

<Provocative> Well, it is usually still a bigger group than a single person, or even a very small set of people (ca. 13), and so should give a better review. </Provocative>
Maybe there should be an intermediate step like an area WG that could look at a bigger picture and make sure that the document has the sufficient review.

Cheers,

Jonne.