My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri May 2 12:51:23 CEST 2003

> But I suggest that drawing the line at compensation or not is
> unlikely to be helpful and might be harmful.

the specific risk of allowing compensation is related to the proposal that
there be some definite threshhold of favorable reviews that when reached,
automatically results in more favorable consideration for the document; along
with an assumption that the reviewers are chosen by the proposer.  gettting
favorable consideration then becomes a simple matter of buying off enough
reviewers.

but it might be possible to tweak the idea so that this isn't a problem.

personally I wouldn't mind being paid to do the occasional review, but for
IETF's sake I don't want to set up a system that is easily gamed.

Keith