My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Fri May 2 12:14:04 CEST 2003

Keith wrote...

> however, if we give outside reviewers any formal power we
> need to define ethics for such review - such as, reviewers
> should not accept compensation for reviews.  otherwise people
> will try to buy favorable reviews for their pet projects and
> unfavorable reviews for others.

I've been thinking about this since you said it, especially in
combination with

> from personal experience, adding outside reviewers can
> increase AD workload, because the AD needs to evaluate the
> reviews in addition to the documents under review.  (outside
> reviews can and do help increase document quality because they
> catch thing that the IESG and working group miss, but they
> don't generally reduce workload.)

earlier in the same note.

Suppose we use outside reviewers, whether chosen by the AD for a
particular document, or chosen by the WG or some of its
participants, or as part of a SIR-like pool.  Some of them will
do careful and thoughtful review jobs, and will write reviews
that identify and explain their concerns.  Others, if we can
extrapolate from mailing list and other experience, will find
design properties that match or conflict with their religious
preferences and will produce reviews that mostly consist of
ranting about those preferences.   And, extrapolating again,
some will deliver pithy and clever, but almost uninterpretable,
comments, whether those comments favor or attack the contents of
the documents under review.

I suggest that we already have ample experience to infer that
these different types of responses will occur, with or without
specific compensation.  If an AD is going to make any use of
outside reviews, he or she is going to need to sort these things
out and reach conclusions about which reviews are credible,
which ones are merely ranting, and which sets of abbreviated
comments are worth following up to the extent needed to turn
them into specific recommendations for changes.  And, yes, as
you point out, that may add to the workload.  Some of that added
load may lessen over time as the AD, and the IESG generally,
figure out the correlations between particular individuals and
untrustworthy or low-information reviews.

But I suggest that drawing the line at compensation or not is
unlikely to be helpful and might be harmful.  Probably there are
people in the community (although I have encountered few, if
any, of them) from whom a favorable (or unfavorable) review can
be purchased.  But that can possibly be done in other ways,
including just picking reviewers who have some external interest
in the approval or disapproval of a document.  By contrast, it
seems to me that compensating someone -- in dollars, beer, kind
words, promises to stop the pain of arm-twisting, or other
currencies -- to pay attention to, and review, a document that
he or she would not normally spend time looking at may not be
totally unreasonable, at least as long as we permit people who
draw salaries from companies with an interest in particular
standards to act as WG Chairs, Editors, or even active
participants.  And, as has been pointed out in other contexts,
if we start banning the latter, we assure ourselves of documents
that are produced by people with no real knowledge of or
experience with, or involvement in, the subject matter.

So, looking at disclosure requirements --as long as they can be
defined to prevent bureaucratic ridiculousness-- seems sensible
to me.  But banning "compensation" --especially some particular
form of compensation and not others-- does not.

       john