what the "scope" disagreement is about

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Thu May 1 14:03:22 CEST 2003

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> My apologies to Tony for taking this couple-of-paragraphs
> from a very long thread on IETF-Discuss out of context, but I
> was curious about his choice of words:

I specifically chose those words, because the DNS community has
repeatedly decided not to deal with this in the IETF, even though many
of the members ship versions of a solution. We have a core
infrastructure service that is out of step with the architecture of the
network it is being used to describe. So this is a case where the IESG
needs to step up and task a group that has not decided to deal with it
on its own.

As far as I am concerned, the IESG regularly asserts this level of
control when it requires specific items to be in or out of a WG charter.
YMMV ...

Tony