what the "scope" disagreement is about

Spencer Dawkins spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 13:33:42 CEST 2003

My apologies to Tony for taking this couple-of-paragraphs from a
very long thread on IETF-Discuss out of context, but I was
curious about his choice of words:

--- Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> >
> > I struggled for a while to come up with ways of coming up
> > with a "canonical DNS name" which could be passed around to
> > multiple hosts many years ago when I was trying to come up
> > with a convenient way to construct canonicalized, globally
> > usable Kerberos principal names from host specifiers that
> > were supplied by the user on the command line. We ran up
> > against the same problem.  Fundamentally, the DNS wasn't and
> > isn't designed to do this.
>
> So the IESG needs to task the DNS community with fixing it.

I'm wondering - how often does IESG think it "tasks a community"
with taking on significant new work? I don't think I'm asking
about taking on additions to existing work ("you need to include
security considerations"), I'm thinking about something
bigger...

I'd like to think the answer is "yes, at least from time to
time", but don't have the experience needed to know for sure.

Spencer