opaque docs [Re: rough consensus of what "population"?]

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 26 07:57:58 CET 2003

actually I find the data models embedded in MIBs fairly instructive.

It took me some time (years) before I discovered that I could get 90% of
the information *I* needed from a MIB from reading the table definitions
and regarding everything else as "reference material, read it if you need
to know the details".

perhaps MIB review might be problematic because a lot of people don't know
how to read them, rather than the MIBs being intrinsically incomprehensible?

(my favourite MIB nit: RFC 2155 defines a value for showing that a physical
line is guarded.... and I do think they mean "guarded by man with gun"....)

                Harald

--On tirsdag, mars 25, 2003 21:24:54 -0500 Thomas Narten