Documenting consensus (RE: making strategic problems concrete)

Scott W Brim swb at employees.org
Mon Mar 24 12:12:13 CET 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 08:52:02AM -0800, Dave Crocker allegedly wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Monday, March 24, 2003, 5:12:58 AM, you wrote:
> BJ> Hmmm.  The problem is?
>
> Working groups often lack focus.  The mundane, mechanical tool of
> listing and tracking items currently under discussion and the
> resolution of previous ones (consensus or non-consensus) provides an
> easy, efficient accounting tool for public reference.

Keeping a record of consensus achieved is a fine goal.  However, if the
actual goal is stated as bringing focus to the group, that implies that
we want micromilestones, which can very, very easily lead to loss of
flexibility -- and thus slowing of real progress.  I'm concerned about
making the chair's job too mechanistic.